Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Gluten Free Nachos, Easy and Inexpensive

by M. J. Joachim




Being gluten free isn't as hard as it seems, especially these days. Of course, on those very rare occasions when I get exposed to gluten, it tends to do quite a number on me, because as many of you know, I have Celiac disease. This is not a gluten allergy, as some people believe, but rather a digestive issue, where one simply cannot process gluten properly. Consequently, it wreaks havoc on almost all parts of the body.

The diagnosis is difficult to determine at best, because health complaints range from not feeling like oneself, being achy, having a fuzzy brain, not sleeping well, going to the bathroom too much or not enough, being tired all the time and even having sore joints, to a whole host of other things that mimic other illnesses. Doctors do their best, but many don't immediately suspect Celiac or gluten sensitivity as the culprit, especially when the patient only pinpoints one or two of the more grievous complaints regarding his or her health. 

I was lucky, if you can call it that, because I have three siblings with similar issues, and since there's a strong genetic factor in all of this, I knew to ask for the Celiac test. I also knew enough to stop eating gluten on my own, to see if my health didn't improve, which it did more than I can say.

I have a tendency to munch when I watch t.v., and since I didn't actually sit down and eat dinner last night, the urge was all the more strong when my husband and I sat down to watch The Voice. We love that show, and last night's lives was rather spectacular. I believe there will be a few new vocalists reaching the top of the charts in the very near future, if they haven't already.




I didn't make it to the grocery store yesterday. We had a house full here, and I was having way too much fun hugging on and playing with my grandkids, so there wasn't a whole lot of dinner items to choose from. I'd had leftover rice bowls for lunch, and while it was good, I wanted something different. I knew there were Tostitos chips in the pantry. We had cheese in the fridge. What I didn't know was that those chips are gluten free. Label readers are us, and there it was, right on the back of the bag, with a GF toward the bottom.




Quick and easy nachos hit the spot! I made them with Tostitos chips, mozzarella cheese and Macayo's Mexican style taco sauce. It's an easy and inexpensive gluten free treat. All I had to do was layer it all on a paper plate and melt the cheese in the microwave. All of these ingredients are readily found in the grocery store, and they are sure to please the entire family, even those who aren't gluten free.

Thanks so much for stopping by. It's a pleasure sharing this blog with you!

M. J. 

©2016 All Rights Reserved
Photo credits:  Fair Use copyright law